If you’re serious about taking care of your beard, then you need a grooming kit.
Not just any kit, that is, but one that’s filled with the best beard products available, and that means more than just a beard trimmer and scissors. To keep your beard looking its best, you need the works: oil, shampoo, balm, wax, and even a razor.
That in mind, we want to help fill your kit, and we’ve included a list of the best beard care products to make your buying decisions easier.
Let’s get started. The 9 best beard products every beardsman needs:
Quick summaryBalding Beards is reader-supported. When you buy through external links, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.
|Smooth Viking Beard Oil||Check on Amazon →|
|Honest Amish Beard Balm Leave-In Conditioner||Check on Amazon →|
|The Bearded Goon's Ridiculously Strong Beard and Mustache Wax||Check on Amazon →|
|Professor Fuzzworthy’s Beard Shampoo||Check on Amazon →|
|Seven Potions Beard Brush for Men with 100% First Cut Boar Bristles||Check on Amazon →|
|Kent’s Handmade Combs||Check on Amazon →|
|Braun Beard Trimmer for Men BT5265||Check on Amazon →|
|Suvorna Premium Beard and Mustache Scissors||Check on Amazon →|
|Gillette Mach3 Men’s Disposable Razor||Check on Amazon →|
|Merkur Long-Handled Safety Razor||Check on Amazon →|
The 9 Best Beard Products in 2020
1. Beard Oil, Great Example – Smooth Viking Beard Oil for Men
Beard oil is a must-have for every man who’s serious about growing a great beard. Not just “a beard,” but a great one.
For one, beard oil is designed to mimic the natural oils you have on your skin. For the skin under your beard – which easily can become dry, itchy, and produce the dreaded beardruff – oil is everything, including when you want to maintain a healthy beard.
Beard oil, in short, hydrates your skin. If you live in a cold or harsh climate, beard oil will keep your beard from getting too dry and brittle.
Say what you want about the Vikings of old – those hairy, burly, men who could wreak a whole lot of havoc. Despite their rough and tumble reputation, they also were known for their grooming, including taking proper care of their behemoth beards.
So, when you see Smooth Viking Beard Oil on the shelf, you may feel a bit of nostalgia for our ancient brethren who kicked ass and took names, all while their beards looked immaculate. Most of them, anyway.
Smooth Viking’s Beard Oil for Men is a similar multi-tasker in that it keeps your beard healthy in a variety of ways.
Plus, it’s packed with natural ingredients, such as jojoba oil, argan oil, pumpkin seed oil, and more.
The Smooth Viking formula is effective without being too heavy and softens your beard without leaving behind a greasy residue. Their oil is effective on the most unruly of beards overrun with brittle, stiff strands of hair.
Our friends at Smooth Viking want you to keep your beard well-maintained but don’t think you need to spend hours doing it.
That’s why they make their beard oil – and other products – easy to use.
Just a small amount of their oil gives you the softness and manageability that you’ll appreciate.
You’ll also appreciate the fact that your beard itch has taken a hiatus – hopefully not to return anytime soon.
Even the hardest of hardcore Vikings will appreciate that.
2. Beard Balm, Great Example – Honest Amish Beard Balm Leave-In Conditioner
We’ve mentioned it in previous posts, but it’s worth repeating: the folks at Honest Amish simply know what they’re doing when it comes to producing top-quality beard products.
Beards have been part of Amish culture for at least a few centuries – Amish men grow beards once they get married, primarily for religious purposes – so it only figures that they’d have a wealth of insight when it comes to facial hair.
It only figures that they’d use the finest natural ingredients, as well.
Their all-natural Beard Balm Leave-In Conditioner is the best in the business for a lot of reasons, including those already mentioned.
But there’s more:
- Honest Amish Beard Balm is a 100% natural product that blends botanicals such as Argan, Jojoba, grapeseed, pumpkin seed, and apricot kernel oils. It also includes butters – such as shea, cocoa, and aloe – that help shape your beard while repairing any patchiness that you may have.
- It helps relieve the itching that plagues many beard wearers, because of the way it thoroughly conditions your skin.
- It comes to you with packaging that’s also a cut above the rest: a burlap bag that holds the beard balm and beard care tips. The bag can be re-used for your own transportation purposes.
- In typical Honest Amish style, the Beard Balm Leave-in Conditioner has a pleasant masculine scent that won’t overpower you. There’s even a hint of black licorice within the fragrance – which might seem odd but actually works very well.
- You’ll love the shine this balm gives your beard – not the kind of shine that will blind anyone nearby, mind you, but just noticeable enough to impress both beard lovers and non-beard lovers alike.
- It minimizes dryness, split ends, and breakage of your beard’s hair follicles.
- It comes in a thick, balm spread that’s easy to apply and spread evenly throughout your beard. The balm provides a strong hold that many oil-based products can’t.
- The conditioner keeps your skin hydrated and comfortable throughout your busy day. You won’t be interrupted and aggravated by incessant itching.
- There’s little mess while applying the Beard Balm Leave-in Conditioner to your beard.
- It makes shaping your beard easy and provides a strong hold.
The bottom line is that this is yet another product with the quality you’d expect from Honest Amish. When it comes to the best beard grooming products, they’re at the top.
3. Beard & Mustache Wax, Great Example – The Bearded Goon’s Ridiculously Strong Beard and Mustache Wax
The Bearded Goon’s RICIDULOUSLY STRONG Beard and Mustache Wax is the absolute best beard wax we’ve found, and we’ll tell you exactly why:
You simply won’t find a stronger holding beard wax anywhere, and we’re pretty confident of that fact.
Even the most unruly facial hair cowers in the presence of this stuff, and we’re not exaggerating.
If you’re looking to rock a particularly ambitious beard style, The Bearded Goon is exactly what you need.
One application of this stuff will last you the entire day and ensure your unruly beard stays exactly where you want it to – if you’ve got one of those beards whose hairs point in ten different directions, this beard wax is for sure what you need.
In fact, you can actually throw it on at night and wake up with the exact hold you’re after.
Moreover, if you’re serious about keeping your handlebar mustache in place – and a handlebar requires some serious hold – then this is the product for you, as well. The last thing you want is for your handlebar to go flaccid as the day goes on.
So that’s plenty of reasons your facial hair will love this beard wax.
But what else makes it stand out?
Well, it’s 100% natural, using all sorts of great ingredients like Beeswax, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter and Tree resin. And because of that, it doesn’t dry your skin or beard out like so many other pretenders.
It doesn’t have one of those overpowering odors, either – just a mild, earthy stench of beeswax that will actually add to your masculine allure.
And it’s totally free of animal cruelty, too – just so you know.
4. Beard Shampoo, Great Example – Professor Fuzzworthy’s Beard Shampoo With All-Natural Oils
All the way from the Land Down Under – Tasmania, to be specific – we give you Professor Fuzzworthy’s Beard Shampoo With All Natural Oils.
That it comes from Tasmania, an island filled with natural beauty, is only fitting, because the all-natural ingredients in this beard shampoo are superb, not the least of which is its Kunzea Oil, plus Leatherwood Honey and Beeswax found only in Tasmania.
Beeswax offers many benefits to your beard, including that it helps provide “hold,” but it’s particularly great for its anti-itch qualities. Oh, and it also makes your beard hair look and feel amazingly soft.
Professor Fuzzworthy’s Beard Shampoo comes in a bar form. Because it has no synthetic ingredients, it may dissolve faster than a traditional bar of soap, so you may want to store it outside of your shower to extend its lifespan.
Another thing to keep in mind: because this shampoo contains several of the main ingredients in beard balm, you may not have to use as much balm or oil on your beard as you normally would, but it’s a great complement to all other beard care products.
There’s more – much more – that makes this one of the best beard shampoos available today, including other ingredients found in the Tasmania rainforest, such as a variety of essential oils, as well as Mount Wellington spring water.
You’ll also find Tasmanian seaweed extract and cocoa powder.
The bottom line is that it works. It’s a simple, yet effective beard care solution that’s also good for use on your hair and body.
You have to love that kind of versatility. As the folks at Professor Fuzzworthy’s put it, their products are “Often imitated, never equaled.”
5. Beard Brush, Great Example – Seven Potions Beard Brush For Men With 100% First Cut Boar Bristles
Your beard grooming kit isn’t complete without a quality beard brush – it’s as simple as that.
We’re not talking about any old brush, however – especially not a plastic drug store or mini-mart brush or one that your girlfriend or wife uses on her hair.
No, you need a brush such as Seven Potions’ Beard Brush for Men, which is a versatile “secret weapon” in your quest for the perfect beard.
The Sevens Potions brush is versatile in that it’s excellent for simple beard tidying but also well-suited for heavier lifting, such as detangling and ridding your whiskers of pesky knots.
And, like all good beard brushes, it helps train your beard hair to fall into place while creating a better overall appearance.
You’ll notice the term “First Cut” in the brush’s name; that means the bristles come from closer to the boar’s body and not from the hair’s tips.
The result is a stiffer brush that can work easily through your beard while helping to get rid of dead skin cells, which can cause itching and the dreaded beardruff.
One of the many things we like about this brush is its ability to untangle your beard hair without excess tugging that’s painful and can pull out hair. It works well on even the thickest of beards.
The Seven Potions brush also works to remove dirt and grime for your beard, as well as to distribute your skin’s natural oils evenly throughout your whiskers.
You’ll also appreciate the brush’s oval, pearwood body, which fits easily into your hand without slipping.
6. Beard Comb, Great Example – Kent’s Handmade Combs
Go ahead. Try that cheap plastic comb on your beard mustache. You know, the one you bought for a couple of bucks at the drugstore.
Let’s us know how it works.
And then let us know when you’re ready to get serious about combing your facial hair.
Once you’ve established that A) you’re serious about properly maintaining your beard and mustache and B) your cheapo plastic comb isn’t worth a damn, then it’s a good time to talk about a Kent’s Handmade Comb.
After running those teeth through your facial hair, pulling and tearing and ripping, running a handmade comb from Kent’s will feel like taking the Ferrari for a spin after driving around in that clunker with a few hundred thousand miles on it.
Kent’s Handmade Comb is made for the job, i.e., combing and shaping facial hair. Moreover, it’s not like Kent’s doesn’t have experience: they’ve been in the comb and brush business since 1777. Rest assured, they’ve learned a thing or two during that time.
But what makes Kent’s Handmade Comb stand out from all the rest? Check it out:
- A Kent comb’s teeth are saw cut, not injection molded like standard plastic combs. Injection molded combs are produced in mass quantities, and it only stands to reason that the mold gets worn from all the use – resulting in teeth that don’t pull smoothly through your facial hair.
- A saw cut comb, meanwhile, leaves the internal surface of the teeth flat, which move through your hair without binding or pulling. It moves smoothly even through wet hair.
- The tips of the teeth on Kent’s Handmade Comb are hand-shaped after the cutting process. They’re rounded to prevent the comb from scratching and irritating your scalp and stimulate oil production that makes your facial hair shiny and more manageable. When it comes to styling your beard, good luck finding a comb that does it better than Kent.
- Kent combs aren’t made of polystyrene plastic but pliable (yet stiff) cellulose acetate. The result is a comb that has a pleasing, glossy finish.
- A Kent Handmade Comb will feel pleasing in your hand. It’s the ideal size and weight.
- While Kent always delivers superior craftsmanship and products that are second to none, their combs and brushes are very affordable.
So, go ahead. Ditch the rest and try the best. You won’t be disappointed.
7. Beard Trimmer, Great Example – Braun Beard Trimmer for Men BT5265
Lots of beard trimmers are just not up to the task: they have weak motors, are cumbersome to use and get dirty way too quickly. But Braun’s BT7240 Beard Trimmer is the absolute antidote to those problems.
Firstly, it is very powerful: it works on a Lithium Ion battery, which provides not just great charge time (100 minutes) but also makes it work incredibly efficiently. Combine that power with its Lifetime metal blades, and you’ve got a pretty mantastic machine any beardsman will relish.
The set comes with three different heads: one for short to medium beards; one for long beards; and one for contour edging and detailing. It also comes with a Gillette Fusion 5 ProGlide razor, for the really close bits.
It’s also super easy and pleasurable to use: the AutoSensing Technology essentially reads your beard – 13 times per seconds – and adjusts the trimmer’s intensity to the thickness of your beard.
As far as cleaning, Braun has ensured that their trimmer is washable with water, and the set comes with a nice collection of brushes to get to the tricky bits; all in all, it’s incredibly easy to maintain.
You can use the Braun BT7240 cordless or plugged in, and it looks great too.
Overall, this is a fantastic set, providing everything you need for a really thorough, carefully detailed shave without any of the baggage or difficulties other trimmers suffer from.
8. Beard Scissors, Great Example – Suvorna Premium Beard and Mustache Scissors
A good pair of beard and mustache scissors is an essential item in any self-respecting beardsman’s grooming kit.
Suvorna’s Premium Beard and Mustache Scissors are just what the doctor ordered for keeping your beard looking sharp, and for helping it to thrive.
With your purchase, you’ll receive Suvorna’s high carbon stainless steel beard and mustache scissors, as well as ear, nose and eyebrow scissors, and slant tweezers.
Each item is designed for a specific function and hand-crafted to deliver perfect form and function.
The scissors are sharp and cut effortlessly through any type of beard, including the thickest, coarsest beards, without leaving split ends or other signs of damage. You’ll get a close, precise trim without a lot of effort.
Suvorna also offers a 90-day free return and lifetime warranty. If you don’t like them within the first three months of your purchase, you can send them back for a refund or exchange – no questions asked.
9. Razor, Great Examples:
Even if you’re fully-bearded, well on your way, or just getting started, you still need a razor. Whether it’s for touch-ups or shaving the edges of your neck and cheek lines, your arsenal of beard grooming products must include a razor.
Here are a couple of quality razors you should consider:
Gillette is one of those iconic brands that, unless you grew up in a cave, you’ve heard about since you were a wee lad.
Sure, not all big, iconic brands manufacture the best products, but the folks at Gillette know a thing or two about razors. They’ve been in the business since the start of the 20th century, after all.
When it comes to disposable razors, it’s hard to beat Gillette’s Mach3. It’s a top-of-the-line razor with many great features, including three progressively aligned blades.
Yes. Specifically, the Mach3’s blades are positioned in a way that you get a cleaner cut with fewer strokes. As the folks at Gillette put it, for every stroke you take, the Mach3 takes three.
And who wouldn’t like a lighter workload, especially during their morning routine?
The Mach3 has other great features, including:
- A lubricating strip at the top of the razor that helps prevent skin irritation. The strip is made with natural oils to soothe the skin, and it fades to white when a new blade is needed.
- Spring-loaded blades that depress when pressed against the skin, allowing for a closer shave while easily moving along the contours of your face.
- Three blades coated in Gillette’s patented DLC (Diamond Like Coating) that are sharp enough to give you a close shave every time.
- A pivoting head that further aids you in avoiding irritating nicks and cuts.
- An ergonomically-designed handle for a comfortable, sure grip.
- The blades are placed in a way that makes them easy to clean.
- It’s extremely affordable. If you’re on the road but without a razor, this razor is your go-to choice.
Then again, it should be your go-to choice whether you’re traveling or not.
If disposable razors aren’t your thing, then take a good look at Merkur’s Long-Handled Safety Razor. It’s definitely the cream of the crop.
What makes Merkur’s razor so good? Let us count the ways:
- Many shaving experts say that Merkur produces the best safety razors on the market. They’re made in Germany and have all the traits of fine German craftsmanship.
- It has a simplistic design that consists of the handle, guard, and top, but don’t let the simplicity fool you – this a finely-crafted razor that gets the job done.
- The blades are positioned between the guard and head of the unit, and the head unscrews easily to allow you to add and remove blades.
- The Merkur Safety Razor has a 4-inch handle that’s longer than usual and ideal for men with larger hands or for anyone who wants to shave at the optimum angles.
- It’s also easy to handle, because it’s lightweight and has a grip that’s virtually slip-proof (and great for you gents who prefer to shave in the shower). Weight is also important in avoiding nicks and cuts, because the blades are very sharp and don’t need a lot of pressure to shave your facial hairs.
- It also has a built-in guard to further help you in avoiding nicks and cuts. Many safety razors don’t have this feature. Yes, you can still nick yourself, but you’ll avoid any damage if you take your time and use the proper technique.
And if you’re a beginner to the shaving/safety razor game, you’ll appreciate having the built-in guard on your side.
- It’s also great for shaving your head, which many beardsmen prefer.
What’s not to like?
Face, head – this safety razor does it all.
Last but not least, you also should consider an electric shaver for touch-ups. It saves you the hassle of having to apply lather, albeit, at a heftier price tag. The Braun Series 7-790cc is an excellent example
That, my friends, wraps up our look at the best beard products you should own. There’s no shortage of quality tools out there, but we think the ones we’ve listed here always will serve you well.
As always, we welcome your feedback and questions. Is there a product you think should be on the list? What are your experiences with any of the ones we’ve listed here?
We’d love to hear from you.