Getting older isn’t necessarily fun, but it doesn’t have to be so hard, either. While we’d all like to reverse the aging process – man has searched for just such a solution for centuries – the truth is that we really can’t.
In other words, our bodies, including our skin, are going to age whether we want them to or not. While that’s not necessarily a happy thought, the good news is that modern technology and science allow us to treat the symptoms of aging to give us a more youthful appearance overall.
In this post we’ll discuss anti-aging creams for men. We talk about the best products, including the best anti-aging cream for men – Brickell’s Men’s Anti-Aging Revitalizing Cream – what to look for when buying an anti-aging cream, how to use it, and compare creams with other types of treatments for aging skin.
Let’s dig in.
- Before you buy: 6 Things to consider when purchasing anti-aging cream
- 6 Best anti-aging cream for men 2018
- The when & how of it: Applying anti-aging cream (A simple, 7 step illustrated guide)
- Anti-aging creams vs. All the rest
- How we chose the best anti-aging creams for men
Before You Buy: 6 Things to Consider When Purchasing Anti-Aging Cream
So, you want to buy an anti-aging cream? We’re here to help with some advice on what to think about before you choose an anti-aging product for you.
1. What is your skin type?
Skin type is an important, non-negotiable factor no matter what type of skincare product you buy. Let’s take a closer look:
- Oily skin – Oily skin has a slightly greasy look and feel, with larger pores. If you have oily skin you’re also more prone to acne symptoms such as blackheads and whiteheads. Look for creams that are lighter than normal and oil-free.
- Dry skin – Dry skin feels tight, is often itchy, and is more prone to irritation. Look for products that have hydrating ingredients such as aloe. Moisture is different than oil, so you don’t need a heavy, oily product to hydrate the skin properly.
- Sensitive skin – Sensitive skin is easily irritated by skincare products, shaving, and harsh weather conditions. Look for products that don’t contain dyes, fragrances, and other potential irritants.
- Normal skin – Most skincare products are suitable for men with normal skin.
- Combination skin – Many men have “combination” skin in which they have dry and oily patches on their face at the same time. Search for products that don’t use harsh abrasives and gently clean skin while providing light moisture.
Take the time to read a product’s list of ingredients. Ingredients, like skin type, are vastly important when choosing any skincare product. We like products with natural ingredients, but we also understand that many of those that aren’t all-natural work exceptionally well. Here are some key ingredients in anti-aging creams:
- Retinol – Retinol (vitamin A) is a key ingredient in the majority of anti-aging creams. Retinol may eliminate wrinkles but may also dry out your skin if you’re not careful. That said, aloe vera, which contains retinol, is a gentler source of vitamin A.
- Hyaluronic Acid – Hyaluronic acid has superior moisturizing capabilities and, as we age, our hyaluronic acid levels decline. Hydrating the skin with a moisturizer such as hyaluronic acid helps to reduce lines that cause wrinkles.
- DMAE – OK, let’s get the big scientific name out of the way first: Dimethylethanolamine. Sure, it sounds like an ominous, synthetic chemical that must be bad for humans, but it’s a natural ingredient that prevents the loss of elasticity in the skin. DMAE makes the skin look smoother, firmer, and have fewer
- MSM – Big Chemical Name Alert, Part 2: Methylsulfonylmethane. MSM is found naturally in foods such as spinach and kale, and helps skin cells be more absorbent while creating more elasticity. MSM also helps reduce age spots and other skin pigmentation issues.
- Antioxidants – Products that include antioxidants are beneficial in that they absorb free radicals that may damage your skin. Common antioxidants to look for include vitamin C, vitamin B3, and vitamin E. Each of these three vitamins are absorbed easily into the skin.
- Coenzyme Q10 – Coenzyme Q10 reduces wrinkles around the eyes while protecting the skin from sun damage.
- Glycolic acid – Glycolic acid is a natural ingredient that acts as an exfoliating agent to remove dead skin cells.
There are other types of ingredients to look for, including tea extracts, acai oil, peptides, and caffeine (which includes antioxidants to tame free radicals in the skin. Again, read a product’s label carefully before making your purchase.
3. Your lifestyle
You may be debating whether you need anti-aging cream or not but how you look often affects your confidence. If you’re in your 40’s or 50’s when signs of aging are more prominent, it’s helpful to know that effective skincare products can make you look a few years younger.
4. Exposure to the sun
If you’re a man that spends the majority of his time working in the sun it’s even more important that you use anti-aging creams to reduce the signs of aging caused by direct sunlight.
As with most products, anti-aging creams that cost more aren’t necessarily more effective than others.
Many men’s skincare products are fragrance-free, partly because some ingredients used to produce scent may irritate your skin.
Next, let’s take a look at the best men’s anti-aging products 2018.
6 Best Anti-Aging Cream for Men 2018
Brickell places a huge emphasis on natural ingredients when it comes to its men’s grooming products, and their Revitalizing Anti-Aging Cream is no exception.
Not that natural ingredients are the key to developing a top quality anti-aging cream, but it doesn’t hurt. And Brickell’s Revitalizing Anti-Aging Cream delivers with a list of ingredients that includes DMAE, MSM, Hyaluronic Acid, as well as green tea – an excellent antioxidant that reverses signs of aging while helping to protect against sun damage.
The real story, however, is that this cream works. It’s the best wrinkle cream for men and produces terrific results for those who are just starting to show signs of aging. While it can’t stop the aging process – nothing can – it slows it down to make your skin feel and look younger. It removes the deepest wrinkles and lines, two obvious signs of aging.
It’s also good for men of all skin types but works particularly well for dry and sensitive skin that doesn’t always respond favorably to other products. The folks at Brickell recommend that you use their Revitalizing Anti-Aging Cream twice a day (morning and night) after you’ve cleaned your skin with a quality face wash.
You’ll love this cream’s thick texture and how it feels on your skin. You don’t need to use a lot of it – no more than a dime-sized amount – which means that a 2 oz. tub of it will last you quite a while.
Besides green tea, the Revitalizing Anti-Aging Cream’s list of ingredients includes peppermint, eucalyptus, and lemongrass oil – all of which contribute to the cream’s refreshing, revitalizing scent.
Brickell is a newer company that has made great strides in the world of men’s grooming in a short time thanks, in part, to their commitment for using ingredients that don’t contain harsh chemicals and other toxins.
- 100% all-natural ingredients
- Reduces and eliminates lines and wrinkles
- Refreshing, natural scent
- A little goes a long way
- Few, if any. More expensive than some other creams (but worth the price).
Brickell’s Anti-Aging Cream is a good place to begin your search for the best anti-wrinkle cream for men. It delivers quick, noticeable results, and is an excellent choice if you have dry or sensitive skin.
Many dermatologists say that retinol is the most powerful weapon in the fight to keep skin looking young and wrinkle-free. Why is it so effective? Well, it’s a vitamin A derivative that works to boost collagen (and reduce fine lines on the skin), it unclogs skin pores, and speeds the rate of cell turnover to eliminate discoloration and smooth out skin.
Not that retinol for use in skincare products is something new; it earned FDA approval nearly 40 years ago as a prescription treatment for acne. However, dermatologists soon discovered that retinol not only cleared acne breakouts and other skin blemishes, but also made the skin softer and less inclined to develop lines and wrinkles.
Which leads us to the next product on our list – OZNaturals Anti-Aging Retinol Serum – that’s packed with as much retinol as you’ll find in a non-prescription anti-aging product. While excessive retinol may dry out the skin, this serum also provides a bit of moisturizing power, which means even men with dry or sensitive skin can use it without irritating their skin.
Additionally, the OZNaturals Anti-Aging Retinol Serum includes Astaxanthin, a potent antioxidant, as well as hyaluronic acid and vitamin E. And there’s more:
- OZNaturals uses cold processing when blending its ingredients. They believe that other types of processing, in which rotating blades heat up ingredients, degrade and minimize the impact of natural ingredients. Cold processed skincare, they say, produces purer, cleaner products for the skin. OZNaturals does all of its processing at room temperature.
- OZNaturals also uses a patented Biopreserve Complex that eliminates the need to use harmful preservatives such as Sodium Benzoate and Phenoxyethanol.
The Anti-Aging Retinol serum comes in a handy pump dispenser that delivers just the right amount of product for each use. The serum is gel-like and not as oily as other products that use a generous amount of retinol. Moreover, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Note: Always use sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 30 when using retinol products. Retinol and other vitamin A derivatives break down quickly when exposed to excess sun.
- Highly-concentrated with retinol
- Easy to use pump container
- Produced by cold processing
- A few reviewers say results aren’t noticeable at first
The OZNaturals Anti-Aging Retinol Serum is unique in many ways, i.e., it’s packed with more retinol than other products and its produced by cold processing, which keeps key ingredients from degrading and breaking down. But it also delivers where it matters most – on your face and neck – to greatly reduce signs of aging. It’s the best men’s anti-wrinkle cream with retinol.
Like retinol, hyaluronic acid is something of a magic ingredient for treating the signs of skin aging. It hydrates, which is important because our skin loses some of its self-moisturizing components as we age, and it fixes uneven skin tone.
The Hyaluronic Acid Serum for Skin does exactly what its name suggests: it provides maximum hydration to dry skin which, in turns, helps prevent and reduce typical signs of aging on a man’s face. It makes your skin softer, plumper, and smoother (i.e., healthier), and uses a gentle formula that’s clinical strength yet also suitable for men with sensitive skin. It’s suitable for men of all skin types, for that matter.
There are many reasons to include this serum on our list. For one, reviewers love that it results in visible improvements that are quickly noticeable. For another, its ingredients are paraben-free and vegan-friendly, so you can use it without worrying about causing “hidden” damage to your skin. It even helps to reduce those dark circles under your eyes that make you look perpetually weary.
It’s also fragrance-free, so you don’t have to worry about it following you around like bad cologne. We recommend only using the best, most sexy colognes, but that’s another story. Just a note: it’s a serum, which means that it’s a bit watery than other anti-aging creams and products. But it works.
- 100% concentrated hyaluronic acid
- Quickly diminishes the look and signs of wrinkles and fine lines
- Suitable for all skin types
- Different people may experience different results
You won’t find nasty ingredients in this paraben-free serum, but you will find a heavy dose of hyaluronic acid – which is a good thing when it comes to skin health. It boosts skin that loses some self-moisturizing qualities as you age.
For years, women have raved about the benefits of applying a facial cream at night. And the benefits are many, including that creams continue to moisturize your face while you sleep; remember, proper hydration is the name of the game when it comes to skincare products.
While Neutrogena’s Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Retinol Night Cream Treatment is suitable for morning use, it’s recommended that you use it at night to provide your skin with superb overnight hydration. But it also has other advantages and benefits, including:
- It contains retinol, an essential ingredient in treating wrinkles, including before they develop.
- It acts as a cleansing agent that removes dirt particles and oils that accumulate in your skin’s pores.
- Its formula includes sun protection and it’s rich in nutrients and vitamins.
- It’s also hypo-allergenic, which means you don’t have to worry about your skin becoming irritated the longer you use it.
- Another key ingredient found in Neutrogena’s Anti-Wrinkle Retinol Night Cream is alpha-hydroxy acid, another powerhouse in the fight against wrinkles.
- You don’t need to use it in conjunction with a conventional moisturizer.
- It’s oil-free, so men with oilier skin can use it with confidence.
- It’s suitable for men and women.
- It includes vitamin B5 and vitamin E to aid in moisturizing the skin while also working to even out skin tone.
Another thing Neutrogena has going for it is that it’s a highly-recognizable, popular brand name that sells its products in over 70 countries. Not that big brand names always produce high-quality products, but Neutrogena is a trusted name that gets plenty of thumbs-up from dermatologists.
- It’s the best anti-aging night cream
- Good for men and women
- Unclogs pores
- Perhaps not as suitable for men with sensitive skin as other anti-aging products
Neutrogena knows what it’s doing when it comes to skincare products for men and women. Their Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream provides a nighttime solution for keeping your face hydrated and free of wrinkles.
Rugged & Dapper’s face moisturizer already earns high marks for what its name implies – as a moisturizer. But it also packs an anti-aging punch that makes it one of the best all-around skin products for men.
Hey, it even works as an aftershave, albeit an unscented one (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing).
The thought process at work for the developers of the Rugged & Dapper Face Moisturizer for men is this: while you can’t prevent your skin from aging, strong daily hydration will prevent it from showing signs of aging. So, just apply a couple of pumps of their face moisturizer after you shower or shave and watch those wrinkles fade away.
As with a lot of top men’s grooming products, Rugged & Dapper’s Face Moisturizer has several natural and organic ingredients, including botanical hyaluronic acid, aloe vera, jojoba, and shea butter, as well as vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals.
A couple of other reasons we include this moisturizer on our list of the best anti-aging creams for men is that it’s good for all skin types, that it leaves a non-glossy finish that’s decidedly masculine, and that it absorbs quickly into the skin.
Rugged & Dapper’s products have made serious inroads in the men’s skincare market behind a philosophy that men need products that 1) fit into their often hectic lives, 2) have long-term positive effects, and 3) are simple yet effective.
Rugged & Dapper founders Ryan and Janine Labaqui also believe in the effectiveness of quality natural and organic products over other skincare products that include harmful toxins and chemicals. And like their Face Moisturizer for Men, their products cover all the bases.
- It’s an all-in-one moisturizer that also serves as an aftershave
- Natural, non-toxic ingredients
- Leaves a smooth, gloss-free finish
- Doesn’t contain sun protection like some anti-aging creams
It’s hard to beat a product that serves a variety of functions and also qualifies as one of the best facial moisturizers available today. Your skin will get a thorough dose of hydration that will keep fine lines and wrinkles away.
Your skin is the same in most parts of your face – except around the eyes. That’s easy enough to see as you age; there are “crow’s feet,” bags under your eyes, and other signs of aging lingering around your eye sockets.
Many factors make the skin around your eyes different. For starters, the skin is 10 times thinner than the skin on the rest of your face. You also use that skin a lot, even if you aren’t conscious of it (did you know that blinking produces 10,000 movements per day?). The constant tugging and pulling cause the skin to lose elasticity gradually, which eventually leads to lines, wrinkles, and bags.
It only stands to reason that an anti-aging cream for the skin around your eyes has to be fundamentally different than creams for the rest of your facial skin. And Brickell has just such a product with its Restoring Eye Cream for Men, which is the best anti-wrinkle cream for men’s eyes.
How does it work? Here’s a closer look:
- Brickell’s Restoring Eye Cream strengthens the skin surrounding the eyes to reduce wrinkles, puffiness, bags and dark circles. One of its key ingredients is Matrixyl 3000, a blend of protein peptides that boost collagen production. Collagen is the main protein in the structure of the skin.
- Caffeine is another of its ingredients, and caffeine acts as a natural stimulant that improves blood circulation and reduces eye puffiness and dark circles.
- It also includes methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), which helps reduce ages spot and other common pigmentation issues associated with aging.
As is the case with other Brickell products, their eye cream has a variety of natural and organic ingredients, including aloe, vitamin C, and green tea. The cream is lightweight and absorbs easily into the skin, and doesn’t have a greasy feel (or leave a shine). You can also use the Restoring Eye Cream on other parts of your face as a skin toner.
The folks at Brickell stand strongly behind their Restoring Eye Cream and say their product is clinically-proven to reduce wrinkles and boost collagen by 45% in only two months. Given their track record of developing top-notch men’s grooming products, we have no reason not to believe them.
- Designed to reduce signs of anti-aging around the eyes
- Smooth, creamy feel
- Absorbs quickly and produces fast results
- Container isn’t overly big
There are a variety of products available that target the skin around the eyes, but we think none are better than Brickell’s Men’s Restoring Eye Cream. It strengthens the skin surrounding your eyes to eliminate obvious signs of aging.
The When & How of It: Applying Anti-Aging Cream
People – and their skin – age at different rates. Yes, that’s pretty obvious but it’s relevant to our discussion because many men wonder when they should begin to apply anti-aging creams to their face. It’s a valid question, certainly one to consider before you purchase your first cream.
Here are a couple of rules of the road.
First, there’s no need to jump the gun and start applying it in your 20s, even if you notice a few wrinkles. Experts say that your skin repairs itself during this stage of life and that applying anti-aging creams may harm sensitive spots and cause irritation.
Most people notice signs of aging in their 30s: their skin becomes dull because the rate of skin cell turnover (which normally lasts two weeks) becomes slower. You’ll notice more lines and wrinkles in your 40s, imperfections that are often corrected by moisturizers, but anti-aging creams should be in every man’s arsenal once they hit 50, if not sooner.
Applying anti-aging cream isn’t all that complicated, but it’s a process that has its own set of rules and suggestions.
1. Don’t mix products
You may think that bombing those fine lines and wrinkles with a multitude of anti-aging products will create unprecedented results. It won’t. Instead, using several anti-aging products at once may irritate your skin and make the signs of aging more noticeable. Stick with one product and give it time to work (up to two months or more). If you don’t see results by then, and only then, switch to another product.
2. Don’t stop when you see results
Whatever you do, don’t stop using a product when those lines and wrinkles disappear. Doing so invites those signs of aging to make an encore performance.
3. Don’t continue to use a product that causes irritation
Look for another product if your anti-aging cream or serum stings or burns your skin. Irritated skin enhances wrinkles and other signs of aging. One way to test a product is to apply a small amount of it to your inner forearm for a few days to see it causes a reaction on your skin.
4. Don’t skimp on the amount – but don’t use too much, either
A marble or quarter-sized blob of cream should cover every inch of your face. Start with your cheeks and continue over your neck and the base of your throat. An anti-aging cream may also provide sun protection, so you don’t want to apply too small of an amount, but don’t overdo it. Using too much product may dry your skin and leave it with an unwanted sheen.
5. Go easy around the eyes
The skin is much thinner, and more delicate, around your eyes so carefully apply your anti-aging cream to those areas. Don’t rub or tug too hard, but make sure you rub the cream deeply enough that it disappears from the surface of your skin. Put a small amount of cream on your finger and swipe it once under your eye while moving toward your nose. Blend it in with gentle, sweeping motions.
6. Use it after you’ve washed, shaved, and moisturized your skin
Using a moisturizer in conjunction with an anti-aging cream provides extra hydration that helps trap water in the skin. Extra moisture reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Moreover, anti-aging ingredients penetrate more deeply into damp skin, but be careful not to irritate sensitive skin.
7. Consider using it at night
Certain anti-aging creams work best at night (see Neutrogena’s Anti-Wrinkle Retinol Night Cream above), but don’t be afraid to use your regular anti-aging cream at bedtime. You’ll get an extra dose of hydration that moisturizes your skin as you sleep.
Anti-Aging Creams vs. All the Rest
Most issues in life have more than one solution. Not all, but some. The same holds true for resolving the dilemma of wrinkles and other signs of aging on your face. We’ve talked at length about face creams, the most popular solution, but by no means is it the only game in town.
Basically, skin aging comes down to two things: natural (such as chronological) processes and environmental (such as exposure to the sun and air pollutants). Both causes create the most obvious signs of aging, including wrinkles, fine lines, discolorations, and skin sagginess. But the primary question becomes how to treat aging skin in a way that addresses both issues.
Let’s look at three ways of dealing with the question – anti-aging creams, Botox, and fillers.
- Anti-aging creams
Anti-aging creams are topically-applied solutions that have ingredients that treat the symptoms of aging skin. They don’t stop the physical process of aging – again, nothing does – but they have a variety of ingredients that improve the appearance of wrinkles.
Many anti-aging creams include retinol (vitamin A), hydroxy acids which help exfoliate the skin while stimulating new skin growth, peptides, and even sunscreen.
Results may vary depending on which anti-aging cream you use, but the best ones provide consistent results that reduce wrinkles and line. While results may not happen immediately, users typically notice a difference within a few weeks and will continue to do so if they continue to use their anti-aging cream on a regular basis.
In most cases, you can apply anti-aging cream one or two times a day, and some skin care experts suggest that you apply it at bedtime to give your skin an extra dose of hydration while you sleep.
Botox treatments remain a fairly common method – albeit expensive – for treating aging skin. A skincare specialist injects botulinum toxin into facial tissues; the toxin is a protein used in various other cosmetic treatments. Botox works by relaxing the muscles in the skin, which in turn smooths out wrinkles.
The good news is that a single Botox treatment will take away common signs of aging such as wrinkles, crow’s feet, and fine lines, with the effect lasting for a few months. Does it stop the aging process? Again, no, but Botox patients often talk about how noticeably younger they look after treatment.
Another advantage to Botox is that it’s not a surgical procedure, but one performed on an out-patient basis.
Perhaps the biggest disadvantage to Botox treatment is its cost. A single treatment may cost a few thousand dollars and additional treatments are needed to maintain the look of younger skin.
Fillers often are confused with Botox treatments, because they involve injections into the skin, but most fillers contain hyaluronic acid in a gel form. The gel plumps sagging skin to reduce the appearance of lines. Juvederm is a common type of facial filler.
Like Botox injections, however, fillers only last for several months, or less, and treatments must be repeated to retain the same youthful look. Fillers – also known as dermal fillers – have the potential of causing more side effects than botox; side effects such as bruising, numbness, and scars.
How We Chose the Best Anti-Aging Creams For Men
One the many things people discover when researching anti-aging creams for men is that the majority of creams have the same ingredients. The best ones, such as those listed here, include a vast array of natural ingredients, but most contain retinol, hyaluronic acid, and antioxidants.
That said, separating the effective from the not-so-effective when it comes to skin creams isn’t easy, but by focusing on results we were able to narrow the list. User reviews become important – you have to pay attention when a product gets hundreds of positive reviews on a site such as Amazon – but so do other factors, such as versatility (is it good for all skin types?), and whether it properly hydrates the face or not. Creams that are too drying attract a skeptical eye.
We also considered price and strive to present a list that includes products to fit all budgets. All in all, we think you’ll benefit from choosing any of the products listed here.
That wraps up another product review, gents, and your feedback is welcomed, as always. What’s your experience with anti-aging creams? Have you tried any of the creams listed here? We’d love to hear from you.